Master Gardeners Teach & Learn
- Correct selection and placement of plant materials
- Identification and management of landscape pests (weeds, insects, disease)
- Mulching and composting practices that reduce, reuse and recycle yard trash
- Use of plant materials to attract desirable wildlife.
What is the Master Gardener Program?
Florida Master Gardeners are University of Florida-trained volunteer teachers. Master Gardeners educate and provide research-based information to Floridians about gardening — America’s most popular pastime. Their information about planning and maintaining urban, suburban, and rural landscapes always emphasizes environmental stewardship.
The Master Gardener Volunteer Training Program provides future volunteers with intensive education in home horticulture principles. Participants who successfully complete the program and complete required volunteer service hours annually are certified as Master Gardeners by the Florida Extension Service.
Working with the Extension Agent, Master Gardeners provide volunteer leadership and service to their community in gardening activities. As a Master Gardener you will work with the Extension program and will be required to participate in organized volunteer activities. This service consists of such things as answering gardening questions, conducting plant clinics, beautifying the community, and other activities which promote horticulture.
The Master Gardeners are a part of the Extension Service of the University of Florida.
If you have questions concerning your lawn, garden, flowers, etc. Please contact the Bay County Master Gardeners at BayMG@ifas.ufl.edu. Let us be of service to you.
To help you decide if you should apply for Florida Master Gardener training, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I want to learn about plants, growing things, and gardening?
- Am I eager to participate in a practical and intensive training program?
- Do I look forward to sharing my knowledge with people in my community?
- Do I have enough time to attend the training and to complete my volunteer work?
If you answered yes to these questions, the Master Gardener Program could be for you.